It is the Combination of Tocopherols and Tocotrienols or Alpha Plus Gamma Tocopherol that Lower the Risk of Alzheimer's Disease
High intake of vitamin E from food is associated with protecting you from developing
Alzheimer's disease, but the same benefit is not obtained from the most common form of
vitamin E supplement, the old fashioned but most commonly used D-alpha-tocopherol that
is in all of the major brands of multiple-vitamin and most vitamin E supplements.
? Individuals in the Chicago Health and Aging Project were monitored for 6 years to compare vitamin E protection and cognitive decline. The higher the intake of vitamin E as a complex of tocopherols and tocotrienols in foods, the less likely a person would develop Alzheimer's disease. Both alpha- and gamma-tocopherol offered protection. As far as cognitive decline, a slower rate of decline was experienced with intake of a combination of tocopherols and tocotrienols, or a mixture of both alpha and gamma tocopherol. The results indicate that it is a combination of the different isomers of vitamin E that offer protection from developing Alzheimer's disease and/or declining cognitive function. The research was conducted at the Rush University Medical center and is published in the February 2005 issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Soy Protein with Isoflavones Decreases Cholesterol and Improves HDL According to an Analysis of 23 Studies
In this meta-analysis twenty-three randomized controlled trials of the use of soy protein
powder with Isoflavones shows the following:
- A significant decrease in total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides
- The results were greater in men than in women
- The higher the initial elevation of total cholesterol and LDL the better the results
- The dosage needed for soy Isoflavones was a minimum of 80mg per day
- Improvements in cholesterol and triglycerides occurred rapidly but it took at least 12 weeks to see an increase in HDL levels
- According to the analysis it is the combination of soy protein with the Isoflavones and not the Isoflavones alone that give the splendid results