Dr. Claire's New Years' Detox
By Dr. Claire Arcidiacono, ND
The New Year is upon us! Now is the time to make your New Years’ resolutions for 2015. One of the most popular New Years’ resolutions is to get healthy. Usually, this involves weight loss programs along with regular exercise programs. However, one of the best ways to initiate a new healthy lifestyle this year is through detoxification. Think of a detox as “spring cleaning” for your body. By getting rid of all the trash that accumulates in your body over time, you can make room to begin the natural process of healing, which includes natural weight loss.
I recommend doing a detox every year, no matter what season it is. The following products work wonderfully together – call it Dr. Claire's Detox Protocol!
- Multi-Core Energy Powder: This is a great multivitamin powder. It has all your vitamins and minerals to support your body through a detox process. It also contains the following energy producers: Coq10, L carnitine, DMG and enzymes. These nutrients are important because when you’re detoxing, one of the side effects can be lack of energy! In addition to being a complete multivitamin, it is a powder, making it very easy to absorb. Overall, this is an excellent product to help support detox.1
- Multi-Core Detox Powder: This is the powder that will activate your detox. It will help the liver and kidneys to process the toxins that we accumulate every day. In addition to supporting liver and kidney function, this product has protein to support the muscles and energy production. An added benefit to this is that it’s a powder like Multi-Core Energy Powder, so you can mix these two products together in a tasty shake. Drink this healthy blend in the morning for a great protein blast to get your day started.2
- InVite Organic Flaxseed Powder: Once the liver and kidneys have finished processing toxins – in other words, when they finish the process of making a toxic substance harmless – the toxin goes to the intestine and leaves the body via the stool. If you suffer from constipation, it’s important that you alleviate this problem before you start a detox, since many toxins can become re-absorbed into the colon. That means they will then have to travel through the liver and kidneys again. Therefore, it is a good idea to take a fiber supplement during a detox. Flax seed contains almost 3 grams of fiber in 1 serving! It also contains healthy fats, as well as 2 grams of protein. Flax seed can be mixed into your morning shake with the multi-core energy powder and the multi core detox powder. It can also be mixed into yogurt or oatmeal. In addition to being a great support for detox, flax seed is very important for other functions in the body such as breast health, prostate health, hormonal balance and hair health.3
- Para Hx®: This formula deters bad bacteria, parasites, yeast and fungus, which is also important during a detox. Unhealthy bacteria and yeast will often release toxins when they die, which can make you feel very fatigued. By balancing out bad organisms during a detox, you can help the body to process the toxins. In addition to the natural toxins that they release, yeast is often a “garbage dump” for the body. If you kill off the yeast, you also get rid of any toxins they may contain, such as mercury. Yeast is a very common problem that occurs due to stress, antibiotic use or even your diet. Therefore, it’s useful to remove these from the body (aka, kill the "bad guys") in addition the other toxins while you detox.
- Probiotic: This will support the normal flora (gut bacteria) during your detox. It works with the Para Hx® to crowd out the “bad guys” and prevent them from getting back in. A probiotic works by creating colonies that grow over time. By taking a probiotic, you are planting a "seed" of good bacteria that continues to grow. Think of it as an apartment with bad tenants: you want to move the bad neighbors out, but you also want to move in good neighbors so the bad people don't come back!3
It is important to drink plenty of water during a detox to flush out the toxins. You also want to eliminate any artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors. You want to avoid any "biochemistry", or food that comes from a box. Even if a certain food is organic, if it is processed it is still biochemistry. Eat plenty of organic chicken, eggs, and turkey. Limit dairy products and include healthy fats such as avocados, olive oil, coconut oil and nuts. A simple rule – keep your food close to the way nature provides it, and it’s better for your health overall.4
Overall, by supporting the liver, kidneys, intestines and supporting the growth of good bacteria, you are on the way to a healthy body this year. Through a healthy diet, you’ll have a healthy start to the New Year. In this article, I suggest detox once a year. If you find that you live in a more polluted area, it is safe to do a detox every season – how often you detox is up to you and your nutritionist/doctor.
1. Detoxification. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 24, 2012.
2. Barrett KE. Functional anatomy of the liver and biliary system. In: Barrett KE. Gastrointestinal Physiology. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Medical Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2306090. Accessed Jan. 24, 2012.
3. Colon and liver detoxification. Pharmacist's Letter/Prescriber's Letter. 2010;26:260211.
4. Position of the American Dietetic Association: Food and nutrition misinformation. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2006;106:601.